Monday, March 12, 2007

March 11, 2007

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

We arrived back in Orlando safe and sound. We were very anxious to get back to Kyle, and drove straight through. I should say Joe drove straight through, as I was only allowed to drive for the last hour or so. Rather than allowing Joe to relax, my driving seems to torture him! Madison enjoyed the trip and did great. This was the first time she took a "road trip" and she thought of it as an adventure...unlike most adults who cringe at the thought of driving 16 hours straight through!

Kyle is doing very well and, thank God, had a quiet time while we were away. There were not any "hic-ups" so to speak, only a couple positive events. First, Kyle is doing so well on his feedings that the doctors decided to take his PIC-line out and discontinue IV fluids. Kyle is such a little piggy, he is now up to 11 cc's of breast milk every three hours, which is equivalent to a little over 2 teaspoons. Kyle also had his first bath this morning. The nurse said he loved it and he slept very contently afterwards. I wish we could have been there to see it, but the nurse was kind enough to take a Polaroid picture for us.

The best news of all, is that Kyle was moved to his own private room this evening! It is still considered level three NICU, but it is an area for babies that are considered more stable. Since birth, Kyle had been in the level three NICU area referred to as the "big house" which was a large room with between 12 - 15 babies with the most severe issues. While there were certainly issues to contend with in the "big house" such as noise and privacy, it also came with a certain amount of security because there were always lots of nurses, doctors and respiratory therapists around. Anyways, it is a very good step that the doctors feel he is stable enough to move to his own room and is a welcome change for us as well.

Joe was able to hold Kyle for the first time tonight. Father and son enjoyed a nice, peaceful nap together. Joe also was able to change Kyle's diaper for the first time today...and Kyle made sure it was a messy one to break Daddy in! Pictures of the big moments are posted above. It was wonderful for Joe to be reunited with fact, it is almost midnight as I type this and Joe is still over at the hospital with Kyle.

We know that God is in control of all of the details of everything that Kyle (and we) are going through - what a comforting thought! Thank you for your continued prayers for our family.

God Bless You,

Jennifer, Joe, Madison and Kyle


Anonymous said...

What a relief that you are back safely and that Kyle made so many strides in your absence. It is wonderful that Daddy and Son are getting to bond as well. What devotion for your husband to drive all those hours and then to stay up late to spend time with his precious, little fighter. It will be interesting to see how much weight gain there is now that the milk level handled by Kyle is increasing so rapidly. You must be experiencing some increased optimism --- though obviously still tempered with caution. Praying that Kyle continue to pass important milestones and that your time with family today be especially JOY filled! Laura