Friday, April 18, 2008

Ages and Stages


What word starts with the letter F and ends with UCK? The answer would of course be a FIRE TRUCK. No, this is not my idea of a good joke. It was however a joke that was written on a class mural by one of my fourth grade students during Sunday School recently. A class mural about “Daniel in the Lion Den” that each teacher was supposed to proudly display in her classroom when the kiddos finished it.

About 6 weeks ago, I switched Sunday School classes, leaving my beloved Second Graders (whom I had been teaching since they were 4 years old) and instead began teaching Fourth Graders. The class is mostly made up of boys and they are wild. On my way to teach my first class I was so excited and I prayed that the days’ lesson would reach the heart, lives, attitudes and actions, of my students. On my way to class the following weeks, I simply prayed to get through class without crying. I was out of my league.

Then my dear little Kyle came in and saved the day. You see, he is going through an awful case of separation anxiety. I would leave him in the nursery while I taught. Kyle was distraught without me, and three weeks in a row I ended up being paged to the nursery to come get him. The second he laid eyes on me, he would stop crying. Meanwhile, while I was getting Kyle, the rowdy fourth grade boys started a fire in the rest room one week, and another time they broke into the communion wine. No. Not really. Just trying to add a little excitement to my posting. But, it was obvious it was not going to work with Kyle’s newfound separation anxiety issues. So, this past week I was moved from the fourth grade classroom and I now get to serve in the nursery where my sweet baby boy is. I love it.

At eight years old, my daughter on the other hand is completely over any separation issues she may have once had.

She does not have school today. Typically this would be the ideal time to get some quality one- on-one time in with her. When I offered to take the day off work so that we could hang out or go shopping, she politely declined. I was shocked. I mean come on, I’m a hip, cool mom. Or at least I thought. Madison is now at the age where she’s rather hang out with her friends.

She may not want to hang out with me now during the day, but at night she sneaks into my bed to cuddle. Such an in between stage. I hold onto every single moment I can ... she's growing so fast.

When you’re a mom you’re supposed to give kids "roots and wings" but secretly I think we always hope our kids will never stop wanting and needing us. So for now, I am going to revel in Kyle’s separation anxiety…and try harder to figure out how to be the hip, cool mom to Madison.

18 comments:

McMommy said...

This is a beautiful post about your relationship with your kids. So eloquent!

Except you almost gave me a mild heart attack with the breaking in and drinking of the communion wine. I dropped to my knees and prayed for those poor boys souls. (Ok, now I'm joking. That was MY embellishment..heh heh)

Kristen said...

Awwww, that was such a sweet post.

I am now secretly wishing that my kids never turn 8. Ok, so never get older than 3 and 1.

Hang in there, and remember, you will always be number one in their eyes, no matter the age or circumstance.

Mandy said...

What a great post!

Little boys can be really hard to handle (speaking as a teacher), but usually they come around. I'm sure if you'd stayed, it would have all worked out.

It must be hard for you, straddling the two worlds of neediness. Right now my boys are attached to me (because of age), but I know there will be a day when I am not the centre of their universes. And then, one day, they'll need me again.

Miss Lisa said...

What a sweet post! I had to do a double take after reading about the fire and the wine...lol..you had me (I was thinking 'where is the parenting?'). I remember when I would teach Sunday School, we would run, er-walk quikly, around the church outside to see different stuff and I never served candy like all the other classes did--mean me ;)
My oldest is 9 and like you I see her slowly pulling away--I always offer to bring a bank card and let her pick at least one outfit when we go shopping--sometimes works.
Savor the night cuddles!

amanda said...

such a sweet post. such sweet pictures of both your babies :)

and for the record i must say that i totally get those wild and crazy fourth graders!! i wanted my third graders back in a bad way!! the school year couldn't end fast enough!! silly fourth grade boys!

Nan said...

I can totally relate. I taught high school for 6 years. i firmly believe that 9th graders should be put in isolation until they meet certain social requirements! Goes to show that we all have our niches. Bless you for serving!

careysue said...

I agree with all, you have such a way with your posts very sweet. i also wanted to add that just when it seems your kids are in a stage there on to the next. And we as Mother's are like hey wait a minute I'm not ready for this one! They grow up soooo fast! Yet, they always need us no matter what age they are. My daughter in college still needs me. :)

OHmommy said...

ohhh... what a sweet post... i can relate

KYnurse said...

I love the opening line--how funny is that. I loved your post and your kids are so precious.

Laski said...

Awe . . . I adore this post. So sweet and so, so true! J is just starting to show a little separation anxiety and secretly, I do enjoy it--dare I say it, but it is true!

"So for now, I am going to revel in Kyle’s separation anxiety…and try harder to figure out how to be the hip, cool mom to Madison." You are one mom who so gets IT.

Hilary said...

I just wanted to say Hi!
I just read your story about kyle...what a journey!! God is so good. Both your kids are adorable!

krissy said...

Oh, that sweet boy! He needed his mommy and those nasty 4th graders needed a prayer!

My daughter is in 4th grade, and trust me, they are all rowdy and obnoxious. I however, am even more rowdy and obnoxious and put them to shame. So, I sorta fit in!!!

My daughter isn't all that thrilled with hanging with me either. It stings, but I remember my friends back then, and I needed them! So, I deal!

Apple said...

Visiting from Pastor Rick's blog and laughing because I'm an elementary school nurse and know all about those 4th grade boys! But, I'll admit, they are more my calling than the 9th grade ones...ugh.

You have beautiful children. God bless you and yours.

Kendra said...

sweet post.

Don Mills Diva said...

What an adorable post.

I can't believe the old fire truck joke is still around - I remember it from my grade school days...

andreawilliams said...

great post!!
blessings,
andrea

OHmommy said...

Sweet sweet post!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear...so did you end up displaying the fire truck mural?

My oldest daughter is 8 1/2. She's killing me with all that growing up. *sigh*