Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back to School, Back to Blogging

Yikes. It has been over three weeks since I have last posted.

I never really had aspirations or even a desire to start a blog. But I did start one, completely on a whim from my hospital bed. In the beginning, the purpose was solely to keep everyone up to date on Kyle's health and to post specific prayer requests. That was easy and did not take much thought.

But now, with Kyle healthy, and the purpose of the blog no longer there, I have really struggled with what to post. As a result, I have debated whether or not to even continue with the blog, or in what capacity.

I've worried about who I am writing the blog for. There are some people that check in just for updates on Kyle. There are others that I have met through the blogger world that probably really don't care how many teeth my baby now has. I have begun worrying who my audience is and how I can please them.


Ultimately, I've decided that I am going to write this blog for Madison and Kyle. So that someday, when I am gone or old and senile, they will have a keepsake from me. So that if their spouse ever asks them, "were you dropped on your head as a kid" (like my husband asks me on a weekly basis) they will know the answer. Starting this week. Back to school for Madison, back to blogging for me.

As this is sort of the end if summer, I thought it would be appropriate to give a shout out to two special young ladies who became an important part of our lives this summer.

First, my cousin Elanor was in town from Australia for a few weeks. She is an absolutely gorgeous girl that is full of spunk. Madison idolized her and has been trying to act sophisticated by talking "Australian" like her older cousin. You know, using words, like lollie and fairy floss.


Elle and I would have had a blast had we actually been able to go out sans kiddos during her trip. Well, scratch that. I would have had a blast. She would have probably felt mortified hanging out in a club with her cousin who is 15 years older.

Last but not least, Amy, a young woman from church who was home from college for the summer babysat Kyle and Madison while I was working. She was awesome. If there was any way I could have convinced her not to go back to Grove City College for her senior year, that she would have a much better life babysitting for us, I would have tried. I never could get up the courage to give her the pros and cons of poopie diapers and puke, instead of say, her sorority.


At any rate, Elanor and Amy, we miss you both so much already. Our summer would not have been the same without you!


Oh, and to go along with my new blogging attitude....I've got a new blog-lift. You like? Hilary designed it for us. She is a dream to work with. If anyone is in need of a blog makeover, she is your girl.

14 comments:

OHmommy said...

That is why I started to blog and why I keep doing it.

I hope my kids will love looking back and reading about our lives together.

Don't worry about your audience. People come and go. But the people that stay make connections. At least, that is what I have learned.

amanda said...

yippeee you are back :)

so glad you had a wonderful summer with two special ladies!!

and yes - i love the new bloggy digs!!

Laski said...

I'm so glad you are going to keep your blog!

And, I think it is wonderful that you are using it to chronicle the life and times of your children.

That is why I do it as well. Though, there are times I struggle with what to post. However, J is now one and it seems that the adventures are just beginning . . .

And, I'm with OHmommy. There are bloggers I now call friends because of the wonderful connections I have made with them.

Jackie said...

Oh, good for you. I have struggled with some of those exact same things...wondering who is reading and if I am making everybody happy. In the end, you have to do it for yourself, or YOU won't be having any fun.

I'll stop by to read no matter what you write. :)

careysue said...

I am so glad you're back! Always love reading your comments on other blogs as well.

I started my blog on a whim as well, with my four daughters--they ended up doing they're own blog, so I kept people (relatives)updated on Rickie when he was in the hospital..

I think that's a wonderful idea for your kids to read later!

careysue said...

Oh yeah, I voted for you!

Stephanie said...

I am very glad that you decided to keep writing. I love keeping up with you and your family. You have such an inspirational story to so many people and on so many levels.

Matt Pfingsten said...

Blog looks great, and I am glad you decided to keep blogging. I noticed a few people agreed with you that they, too, blog for their children. I thought I'd share with you why I read your blog.

You know how when you discover a new hobby you get into it full force? (Well, I do, so I'll just assume everyone else does the same). You go on the internet, research, check out the new and best gear...totally lose yourself in it. Well, thats how I felt after having a preemie. I was really hungry, not only for information, but I think just to find other people who were going through or had gone through some of the same experiences. I needed data, stats, stories. I found your blog that way and I read it because I guess I feel there's sort of a bond between preemie parents. When you have a preemie, you instantly care about the well being of ALL preemies, and want to see them doing well and thriving.

So I am glad you are keeping it up!

Kari said...

hey Jennifer,
I've noticed we frequent some of the same blogs. I have a couple of questions to bounce off you. DWT to be specific.
just started reading your blog and I think I am all caught up!!
Kari

Anonymous said...

Aunt Sandra says
Pease don't stop writing on this BLOG or I will never hear anything about what is going on up there. I know I haven't been writing much here lately either, but seems I have been so busy also. I do really enjoy hearing about the kids and what they are doing.

Glad Elanor got to come spend some time with you all, that was good.

Well Jennifier keep up the good work and let us all still hear how everyone is doing up there. You all take care and write when you can. Give the kids a big hug and kiss from me. I love you all.

Love In Jesus,Aunt Sandra

Wendi said...

Glad you are staying.
I blog for my kids too.
The readers are just a bonus!
Glad you had a wonderful summer.

Miss Lisa said...

That is why I am blogging too--my memory is getting worse every year. Now at least I have a record!

Indy said...

I have struggled with this too. Should I stop or not? I have to tell you that OhMommy sent your post where your daughter was your stylist. I loved it. So funny!

Anonymous said...

exerting reads toothpaste store jabalpur weare rita negotiated knows collateral wavelength
lolikneri havaqatsu